Words by Cassandra Campbell / Edited by Sherlyn Torres / Photos: Vogue & Allure Mags
Summer is finally in full swing, so here are a few essential skin care items & tips that will help keep your skin looking its best!
Step 1: Cleanse
Effective cleansing is important because it removes makeup, oils and other impurities. I recommend cleansing twice daily. However, some people prefer just a quick rinse in the morning and cleansing at night. Determine what works best for your skin type!
- Find a mild cleanser that does not strip your skin and works well with your skin type. Sulfate-free options are always a good bet!
Step 2: Exfoliate
Depending on your skin type and your age, exfoliating 1-3 times weekly will help give the skin a natural radiance.
- Exfoliators gently remove dead layers of skin that often make the skin’s tone and texture appear dull and lack luster. Use exfoliants with rounded beads to avoid scratching your skin! A clarisonic exfoliating brush can also do wonders :)
Step 3: Tone
Toning is the underdog of a good skin care routine. It is a step that is often skipped simply because the importance of this step isn’t highlighted enough.
- Toner is applied after cleansing or rinsing the skin
- It rebalances the skins pH, essentially creating an even playing field for the rest of your products to be absorbed
Step 4: Serum
I can’t stress enough how fabulous and amazing serums are! A serum is lighter than a moisturizer and more potent.
- Penetrates the skin faster to deliver the benefits and nutrients almost immediately
- Super lightweight, the skin does not feel heavy with product
- Apply before a moisturizer
Step 5: Moisturize
Now that the weather is a lot warmer and there is more moisture in the air, using a lighter moisturizer will be better for your skin.
- Gel formulas are great because they are light weight and soothing to the skin
- Another option is a lotion, lotions are lighter than creams. They typically come in a more liquid form.
Check out my previous post on Spring & Summer Skin Care HERE for product suggestions
Step 6: Eye Cream
Eye cream is amazing because it helps to add moisture to the most delicate feature on your face. Why not take care of the one feature people look into on a regular basis?
- Choose an eye cream that is beneficial to your needs
- Apply a small amount using your ring finger (has the least amount of strength)
- Tap gently from the outer eye to the inner eye (this method helps to reduce premature crows feet)
Step 7: SPF (Sun Protection Factor)
This is the most important step of all. In the summer everyone loves enjoying the sun and working on their tans (at least I know I do). It is a common misconception that using sun protection will stop you from tanning, this is a myth. You will still get a tan; you are just practicing good sun exposure etiquette.
- Pick something with broad spectrum = UVA (Ultra-violet Aging) and UVB (Ultra-violet Burning)
- Sunblock reflects the rays off the skin
- Sunscreen absorbs the rays into the skin
- Apply at least 30 minutes before heading out into the sun
- It is strongly recommended to reapply every 2-3 hrs for maximum protection
- Try to avoid being in the sun between the hours of 10am – 3pm
- A higher SPF is not always better, try sticking to an SPF of 40 or lower, the added chemicals in the higher SPF’s create a sense of false protection
- Sun damage can take up to 10 years to appear on the skin (thank me later)
Check out my previous post specific to Sunscreen HERE for SPF suggestions ;)
I hope this article has been helpful and beneficial! Having a good skincare routine will benefit you in the long run. Tailor your routine to the season; ideally all of your products should be replenished every 3 months if you are using them twice daily. There is nothing wrong with having a few skincare favourites in rotation, just make sure you are giving your products a fair chance to work.